Since I have been gone most of October and have a LOT of catching up to do (be ready for mass posts this weekend), let’s take a quick look at the first month of the 2010-2011 fall season.
What I Like and Are Still Watching (New Shows):
- Mike & Molly: I do like this show but I REALLY wish the fat jokes would die down a little.
- The Event: I’m still hooked. Looks like people are too although it isn’t gaining many new viewers.
- The Whole Truth: I still like this show but I know the ratings are terrible.
- Detroit 1-8-7: I don’t know why this show hasn’t caught on. I think it’s great!
- The Defenders: My surprise of the season how much I am enjoying this show.
- Better with You: This show is starting to hit a little bit of a stride.
- Boardwalk Empire: Best new show of the season!
What I Am Still Not Sure About or Dropped Altogether (New Shows):
- Running Wilde: After 2 shows, this show was done for me…awful (Sorry Keri Russell!)
- Nikita: I like it but for some reason don’t feel the need to rush to watch it. But it’s good.
- Chase: Nah. When the protagonist doesn’t work for me, you aren’t going to last long.
- Outlaw: In fairness to me, I dropped this show before it got canceled.
- No Ordinary Family: It’s not horrible, but I don’t think it’s the show people rave about. Jury is still out.
- Blue Bloods: I liked the one episode I saw but I have to watch the others on tape before I have a better idea.
What I Like and Are Still Watching (Existing Shows):
- The Good Wife: I think, one of the best shows on TV.
- Chuck: I love Chuck but I will admit, this season has been a little boring.
- Castle: One of my favorite shows and the Castle/Beckett dynamic is still going strong!
- Glee: As long as the promotion of single artists ceases, still a no-brainer.
- 90210: A nice guilty pleasure…don’t tell anyone!
- Grey’s Anatomy: Grey’s was once my favorite show and really lost me with “dead Denny.” But it is making a comeback.
- Private Practice: this is the car wreck I can’t stop watching. And there looks to be an amazing story arc coming that I am really interested in seeing!
- Brothers and Sisters: Love the cast and I still care about what happens to the Walkers (except Sarah.)
- The Mentalist: You know I have my issues with Patrick Jane, but I still love the show.
- How I Met Your Mother: Off to a really strong season.
- Parenthood: I love me some Bravermans!
- Criminal Minds: I am still pissed about JJ, but I tune every week.
- Supernatural: Sam and Dean Winchester, how is anyone NOT watching!
- Modern Family: Is it possible that this show is even funnier this year.
- Dexter: My favorite serial killer/hero!
What I Am Still Not Sure About or Dropped Altogether (Existing Shows):
- Desperate Housewives: I just don’t care about this show anymore.
- Gossip Girl: My old guilty pleasure but they are all annoying (especially Serena!) The only good characters on that show are Chuck Bass and Lily van der Woodson Bass Humphry.
- Community: It took me about 5 episodes to get into Community last year and there were some GREAT episodes. This year, I haven’t found one episode funny.
- Cougar Town: I watched CT and then I dropped it and then I watched it again last season. But just like Community, nothing has really been that funny this season.
- The Office: I started losing interest last year and I haven’t had the desire to watch any taped episodes yet this year.
- Lie to Me: The only character I liked on this show was Jillian (Kelli Williams) and Lightman’s a bigger jerk than Patrick Jane. Great premise but I hated the characters!
- The Vampire Diaries: I stopped watching around Christmas last year (b/c of the holidays not because I didn’t like it) but never really picked it back up. Then lost some episodes so I have to watch about 10 eppies on DVD from last year before I even watch THIS year. Is it worth it?
In my real job, I am in the consumer goods industry. In the stores that carry my products, sometimes in order to make room for new product introductions, other crappier products need to be eliminated. Makes sense right? Well, the same thing needs to happen with my TV viewing. I can’t watch everything. I’d like to, but I can’t. So as new shows make it into the viewing fold, older, tired shows, need to go. I’ve been invested in Desperate Housewives for 6 seasons. But even the last 2, I watched begrudgingly. I just can’t watch it anymore. It’s horrible. Some would argue it always was, but it was mindless entertainment on a Sunday night as I was winding down my weekend. But the writing has been bad, the characters irk me, and I’d rather watch Boardwalk Empire and Dexter. You know what it’s like? It’s like breaking up with that boyfriend/girlfriend you have been dating for a while…you know you don’t like them anymore but you really have no better option so you hang longer than you should. Yeah, it’s just like that. Well I’m cutting the cord.
What about you guys? What are you still watching or breaking up with?