The Emmy’s have been announced!!!!! Woo hoo!!!! Congratulations to ALL the nominees!! A very exciting day for all the shows, actors, producers, writers, etc. I’m going to break this down by drama and comedy and drama is up first!!
Friday Night Lights
Game of Thrones
The Good Wife
OUTSTANDING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA
Kathy Bates, Harry’s Law
Connie Britton, Friday Night Lights
Mireille Enos, The Killing
Mariska Hargitay, Law & Order: SVU
Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife
Elisabeth Moss, Mad Men
OUTSTANDING ACTOR IN A DRAMA
Steve Buscemi, Boardwalk Empire
Kyle Chandler, Friday Night Lights
Michael C. Hall, Dexter
Jon Hamm, Mad Men
Hugh Laurie, House
Timothy Olyphant, Justified
OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA
Peter Dinklage, Game of Thrones
Josh Charles, The Good Wife
Alan Cumming, The Good Wife
Walton Goggins, Justified
John Slattery, Mad Men
Andrew Braugher, Men of a Certain Age
OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA
Kelly Macdonald, Boardwalk Empire
Archie Panjabi, The Good Wife
Christine Baranski, The Good Wife
Margo Martindale, Justified
Michelle Forbes, The Killing
Christina Hendricks, Mad Men
OUTSTANDING GUEST ACTOR IN A DRAMA
Bruce Dern, Big Love
Beau Bridges, Brothers & Sisters
Michael J. Fox, The Good Wife
Paul McCrane, Harry’s Law
Jeremy Davies, Justified
Robert Morse, Mad Men
OUTSTANDING GUEST ACTRESS IN A DRAMA
Mary McDonnell, The Closer
Julia Stiles, Dexter
Loretta Devine, Grey’s Anatomy
Randee Heller, Man Men
Cara Buono, Mad Men
Joan Cusack, Shameless
Alfre Woodard, True Blood
The first thing that stands out to me is no love for Parenthood. The second thing that stood out to me was no love for Castle. The third thing…no nomination for KaDee Strickland from Private Practice!!!!! The fourth thing is the love being shown to Harry’s Law!! Wow!! The fifth thing…yeah for Friday Night Lights!!!!!
What I am THRILLED about:
- All The Good Wife love and boy do they deserve it!!!
- Five out of the Six Dramas (Dexter, The Good Wife, Game of Thrones, Friday Night Lights, and Mad Men) all really deserved their nominations for fantastic seasons! (I’ll get to the one that didn’t deserve it in the negative portion of the blog)
- Sooooo excited that Connie Britton and Kyle Chandler are FINALLY getting the recognition they deserve. It’s just a shame they had to wait until the final year to give it to them!
- Love seeing the following guest starts be nominated because they were outstanding: Michael J. Fox, Julia Stiles, Mary McDonnell, Beau Bridges, and Loretta Devine!
- No more Tony Shaloub for Monk stealing a spot!!!! I know that’s mean but that has bugged the crap out of me for years!!!!
- No nomination for KaDee Strickland. Are you kidding me? Did the Emmy voters not watch Private Practice AT ALL this season or worse, not even bother to watch her submitted clip for consideration? I am FLOORED by this!!! All the ladies in the supporting category are phenomenal (although I don’t watch Justified so I am not familiar with Margo Martindale but from what I read she’s terrific) and I am not taking away anything from their performances because all of them deserve their nominations and were wonderful. But I’m sorry, Strickland was completely snubbed and robbed!
- No nomination for Stana Katic. Another area where I just shake my head. Again, did anyone watch Castle this year? This woman was sensational!!! How in did she not score a nomination? The lead category I have a bit more of an issue with (which I will get into) but again, this is not a knock on the ladies nominated. This is a great day for them and I certainly don’t want that to be marred with perceived negative comments about them. But I will have my comments about that. But Katic is another one who got ignored for a tremendous performance.
- No nomination for the ladies of Parenthood: Lauren Graham, Monica Potter, and Mae Whitman. Seriously folks, who does Lauren Graham have to sleep with to finally get an Emmy nomination? Did she run over your dog with a car early in life? Did she pee in your Cheerios every morning? What has this woman done to get ignored year after year. And this is going back to her Gilmore Girls days as well. I can’t believe it!!! And Monica Potter (who you all know I adore and loved this season) gave one of the most beautiful and subtle performances of any actress this season (of the shows I watch of course.) I can’t say enough wonderful things about her performance and I’m pissed she wasn’t recognized for it.
- Boardwalk Empire over Parenthood for Outstanding Drama. I know a lot of people just threw their breakfast at my statement here but I don’t care. I whole heartedly believe that Parenthood was the superior show THIS SEASON. The 2011 Emmy’s are for this season. And Season One of BE, while good, was not as good as Season Two of Parenthood. I’m sorry people, it just wasn’t. Yes, BE has the pomp and circumstance (and the HBO name behind it) that Parenthood doesn’t. But it doesn’t make it a better show. BE at times was boring, slow, and uninteresting. I can’t remember one episode of Parenthood that was uninteresting. The acting on both shows was great (Steve Buscemi is the reason BE is in outstanding drama I believe) but across the board, Parenthood has the better cast. I’m not surprised BE was nominated and Parenthood wasn’t. The big cable shows seem to trump the little network shows these days. But I was disappointed Parenthood didn’t receive ANY recognition for its stellar season.
- The Outstanding Lead Actress Category. You all know I love me some Kathy Bates. The woman is an outstanding actress (an Oscar winner to boot.) But a nom for Harry’s Law? Really? Over Stana Katic, Lauren Graham, Kyra Sedgwick, or Angie Harmon? I don’t get it. And Mariska Hargitay is getting into the Tony Shaloub category for me. I don’t watch SVU so my opinion is flawed. I watched SVU years ago (like 10 years ago) and she was phenomenal. But she’s nominated every year. Is she one of the 5-6 best every year? I don’t know, maybe she is. But was she better than Stana Katic this year? Was she better than Lauren Graham? Was she better than Angie Harmon in Rizzoli and Isles? Maybe she was. Like I said, my opinion is flawed because I don’t watch the show.