This show is never not on its game. It’s just a tremendous show and this is another stellar season for TGW. There is a lot going on but none bigger than Peter’s quest to take down Will and using Wendy Scott Carr to do it!!! How great is this?? Plus you have Cary really struggling with taking Will down since his beef has always been with Alicia not Will or Diane, Cary and Kalinda forming a “relationship” yet he’s now sleeping Dana (who I can’t stand) and Dana “I am not a lesbian” is having vicious flirting sessions with Kalinda, Alicia really being oblivious to all of this right now, and her quest to destroy Jackie (which you know I love because I HATE Jackie with every fiber of my being.)
I think this whole dynamic with Alicia and Will this season has been fascinating (and that’s coming from a Peter fan not Will.) Alicia flat-out admitted that she doesn’t love Will. I think she really cares about him but she isn’t in this for the long haul. This is a rebound relationship. However Will is in much deeper than Alicia is (can anyone forget the “love you” slip on the phone?) However, now that Diane has confronted him about this case the States Attorney’s office is building against him (which is much more serious than he thought) and informing him that she is very aware of his inappropriate relationship with Alicia that is the foundation for most of this (although for Peter, he doesn’t really know how close they have become) and reminds him that he would choose the firm over Alicia so he better fix this and quick. She has his back, she knows he’s innocent of the charges against him, but he better make this go away so it doesn’t bring down the firm. It was awesome. But it’s incredible how completely out of the loop Alicia is on this. And I am really looking forward to what happens when she finds out.
I have to admit that I am missing the Alicia/Kalinda friendship. I understand it and it wouldn’t make sense for them to be friends again this soon but that doesn’t mean I don’t miss it. And Alicia could really use some friends right now. It seems like all she has is her brother and he isn’t in the picture that often that she could use a girlfriend. Plus, I don’t like seeing Kalinda doing shots with Dana. Please. She should be doing shots with Alicia!!!! I don’t know what it is about Monica Raymond but every time she’s in a show, I hate her character. I just think that was such a strong friendship on the show that it is definitely a big missing link. Even if they could have them working together a little more, that would at least be something!
I’m still waiting for the day that Alicia REALLY puts Jackie in her place. Yes she’s done somethings over the years to stand up to Jackie but I still think Jackie needs more of a smack down. Seeing my mother-in-law go through my computer with the sole purpose of trying to find something on me to take my children away would set me over the top. I wouldn’t be as calm and methodical as Alicia. But changing the locks and buying Zack a car so that they don’t have to depend on Jackie, is a great start. Plus let’s be honest. They’re in high school. They don’t need Jackie watching them and cooking for them. It’s ridiculous. I also think it’s ridiculous that Jackie would just use a key to get into Alicia’s house whenever she wants. How about knocking? How about calling first? But you know what else I liked, that Alicia NEVER bad mouthed her to Grace and Zack, and that on their own, Grace and Zack have decided to hate her for her actions. I don’t know why Jackie has always had it in for Alicia. Maybe it’s jealousy. But every time she’s put down a level, it makes me smile!!! However, if you have seen the previews for the next episode, Grace goes missing. You KNOW Jackie is going to blame Alicia for this and do everything she can to fault her. But I am looking forward to seeing Peter stand by Alicia’s side!
Some other quick thoughts on the season:
- I hate Grace’s tutor. I really don’t see the point and I don’t find her interesting or funny….just incredibly annoying and I wish they would get rid of her.
- I am very much enjoying more of a Cary focused storyline. TGW fans have been saying for 3 seasons that Cary needs his own story lines. This season, he’s starting to get them and I always enjoy the Cary centric episodes. Plus, I like that what they have him doing is more than just going after Alicia in court. There are so many layers to Cary we have yet to explore but this season is slowly starting to peel back the onion. I would like a little more back story on him but I’ll take what I can get.
- What is Dana’s deal? Is she trying to help Kalinda and therefore Lockheart/Gardner or is she playing them because she is loyal to the SA office and Cary? I’m not sure because she is telling both sides everything so I have no idea what her end game is. And as usual, I don’t like it and I don’t like her.
- Eli’s role this season. They needed to find something to do with him but I sincerely hope that at some point it’s more than lobbying for the cheese consortium. However, it has brought on a delightful foe and that always brings out the best in Eli. I also like the budding business relationship forming between him and Diane.
- Is Peter still fighting for Alicia? Is that what this whole Will Gardner thing is about? Trying to show Alicia that he isn’t the good guy she thinks he is and therefore destroy any potential between them opening up the door for himself again? I think that’s what he’s doing. I just don’t know how that will go over. Yes it’s true that he isn’t personally going after him, but Alicia’s smart enough to know who is pulling the puppet strings.
- I’m still concerned about Sunday nights. The ratings aren’t great but it doesn’t help that this time of year, NFL football runs over and usually pushes TGW back 30 minutes causing it to run over into “CSI: Miami” time. And if people are taping those shows and not accounting for it, they may give watching because they don’t have full episodes. Now you know what I say to that…get it On Demand, watch it on-line, hulu it! There are ways you can watch it but will casual viewers take the time to do that? It doesn’t look like they are.
What are your thoughts on this season of TGW? Are you loving it as much as me? Sound off below!