I have been really bad with keeping up with Survivor this season. Partly because of work but mostly because the last two seasons were so bad because they were so poorly cast, I haven’t been that excited to watch this new season. I mean I still have 6-7 episodes of One World still on my DVR that I will watch at some point. And don’t tell me who won because I don’t know!
But this season has been worth watching the dreck of the last two seasons combined. This season is awesome!!! My husband and I plowed through all 10 episodes yesterday and I can’t wait for Wednesday’s to come around.
The reason this season is so good…the cast. You have lots of people to like and root for and you have good villains that root against but don’t vehemently despise to the point the show is unwatchable (cough, cough Colton, cough, cough.) But the most important reason this season is so good, you have people who actually want to play the game. Yes you have some idiots…like Angie. But you can have 1 or 2 Angies and it’s ok. It’s actually enjoyable because it’s funny to watch them try to compete when they are completely outmatched on all facets of the game. But when 12 out of the 18 people are Angies…it sucks. Luckily we have all people going with a “game on” mentality. The other thing I am THRILLED about….no more redemption island. I can appreciate the creators and producers trying to come up with different ways to breathe life into the game. But the redemption island angle was a bad one. Once someone is gone, they should be gone. No second or third chances. Once you’re out, you’re out. And having that back this season is much more enjoyable. Because in my opinion, the game of Survivor is perfection. The only thing you need for a really good season, is a good cast That’s the key. You don’t need gimmicks and stunts…just a good group of people willing to play the game with a range of interesting personalities. And that’s what you have this season.
It’s crazy because there are SOOO many people I’m rooting for. And all for different reasons. I’m rooting for Malcolm, Denise, Lisa, and Skupin. And if Carter or Penner were to win, I wouldn’t hate it. The only person that would bug me at this point is annoying-but-I-have-no-idea-just-how-utterly-annoying-I-am Abi. But I can’t see how that could possibly happen. Gun to my head, if I had to pick one person…it would be hard to choose between Malcolm and Denise but I’d have to go with Denise. She has played a phenomenal game. She’s strong in challenges, she works around camp, she’s incredibly likable, she’s loyal, and she’s a very good strategist. She is the complete package.
The thing I’m already happy about is seeing how several people have made comments about not taking what happens in the game personally. It’s one of the things about Survivor, from the cast standpoint, that has always bothered me….when people hold grudges outside the game for decisions people make in the game. Or when people question your character because of bold moves you make. Now don’t get me wrong, there have been people who have played this game, like Russell Hantz, NaOnka, and Colton, who are low-class people with no integrity whatsoever and they bring their vile natures to the game of Survivor. Because those people would be just as awful outside the game as they were inside the game. But for the most part, people don’t act on Survivor the way they would act in the real world. It’s a game. For a $1,000,000!!! So people do things they would NEVER do outside of Survivor because of the nature of the game. Therefore, I’ve never understood why people get so personal when it comes to moves made. I know it’s easy to say that watching from home. I’m not out there making the types of promises and friendships these guys are making. And I’m sure getting blindsided from someone you trusted, sucks and stabs you in the gut. But it’s not personal!!!! And therefore, there have been juries that have made emotional decisions (Natalie vs. Russell) versus the right decision on who really deserves to win because they can’t get past the hatred. But there have been several moments this season where one competitor has said to another, hey don’t worry about it, you were making a move, it’s a game it’s no big deal, don’t worry nothing personal. I love it!!!!
Random Thoughts on the Season:
- Jeff Kent made a HUGE mistake not sticking with the 6-7 alliance. He was so tunnel visioned on getting rid of the returning players, he couldn’t see the forest through the trees. And as a result, instead of having Carter, Denise, Malcolm, Penner, RC, Skupin, and himself as a solid group (with still plenty of numbers to get Penner and Skupin out later) he flipped and voted with Pete, Abi, Artis, and Lisa and got someone out of the game who would have been loyal to him in RC. It was the one bad mistake he made in a pretty flawless game up until that point. And as a result, he was axed the very next week.
- A person like Abi is exactly why you don’t make alliances too early in the game…because then you’re stuck with them. RC got screwed because she aligned herself with a fruit loop. Pete and Artis got screwed because they aligned themselves with a loud mouthed bitch who was stupid to boot. But to be fair, when someone comes to you and says, let’s make an alliance, you can shoot yourself in the foot if you say no. So you have to cross your fingers that you’re Malcolm and you end up with someone like Denise instead of RC who ended up with someone like Abi.
- What was Penner thinking? Lisa and Skupin came to him wanting to make a final four alliance (I wonder who the 4th would have been…Carter maybe) and Penner said “Nah, I think I’ll wait this out a bit before I commit.” WHAT!!! Now this becomes a different strategy from the early in the game alliance where you need to be more careful because you don’t know these people yet. At this point in the game, you know these people a lot better. So you can make a better, more informed decision for your end game. I can appreciate that Penner wants to get jury votes because that’s important. But don’t you think, at this point, you’re better aligning yourself with people you know you can trust and can most likely beat than saying you’ll wait it out? I agree with Lisa, opportunity missed. It’s a big risk on his part, so I wonder how that will play out.
- Lisa Whelchel has a been a fantastic surprise. The first two episodes I was worried she was on the early chopping block…which she was. Luckily for her, she was on a team that kept winning and never had to go to tribal council or she would have been gone. And it always surprises me when I see self-proclaimed Survivor ultra fans play the game like they’ve never watched the show before. And in the first few episodes, Lisa would go off by herself and isolate herself from her tribe because she didn’t fit in. Hello? If you’re such a fan, you have to know that’s a HORRIBLE strategy. Again, she was soooo lucky she was on a team where they won all the time. But then Lisa came out of her shell, saw some signs of life, and starting playing like a person who has watched this show before. She tried to make some bold moves to better her position and there were times it appears she was being manipulated that she was able to read very easily and not get snowed by someone’s kind gestures. She was cautiously trusting which is very smart on her part. And now, she maybe in a position to win this game!!! You go Blair Warner!!!
- I want Malcolm or Denise to win this thing. They are my favorite hot guy, strong woman tandem since Colby and Tina in Season 2. I love that with all they went through, they have been loyal to each other since day one and have been able to survive a horrible tribe, being split up, and making new alliances. They are both in fantastic positions to win this thing. If the final two were between Malcolm and Denise, I would have no idea who I would vote for. Because while Denise has played the perfect game, Malcolm has been doing it with a target on his back the whole game and has still managed to survive.
So what do you think of this season of Survivor? I think this is the best season we’ve seen since Heroes vs Villains. And I can only hope, the producers are reading all the reviews, and the blogs, and the chat rooms to see how much people are enjoying this season and leave the redemption island gone for good and start casting better in the future. Because what a difference a good cast makes!!