Best is a subjective word in this context. I define “best” as what I enjoyed the most. Not what was most popular or what had the best ratings or what was the most critically acclaimed. But what show I throughly enjoyed watching from start to finish in 2012. Here is my Top 10 Best Shows of 2012 (in no particular order):
- The Good Wife
- Year in and year out, this show is one of the best on TV. From the acting to the writing to everything in between, you can never go wrong with TGW and as long as it’s on the air, it will be on my list. Team Peter!!! You know I had to get that in.
- Many people questioned whether or not a show like Homeland could sustain it’s intensity and compelling story telling season after season. Maybe this was better as a Mini-Series than ongoing show. Season 2 proved that Homeland still has it and it set itself up for moving in a different direction with the core of the cast into Season 3. So many twists and turns and tying up lots of loose ends towards the end of the season made up for a relatively slow early part to the season. The only hiccup was the Dana storyline, but other than that, Homeland was outstanding and might net Claire Danes and Damien Lewis back-to-back Emmy wins.
- This show never gets the love it deserves. But similar to The Good Wife, Parenthood just cranks out stellar episode after stellar episode with an amazing cast to back it up. This season really kicked up the Kleenex factor with Kristina’s cancer story line as well as with some fantastic performances from Monica Potter, Peter Krause, Mae Whitman, Matt Lauria, and Erika Christinsen.
- My father told me to start watching this show last summer. And what started as a smug, campy show, has turned into a very well written, well acted show that has me deeply invested in each one of these characters. From Donna being fired to Louis and Harvey’s rivalry. From Mike losing the one person in his life who meant the world to him to Jessica doing everything she can to save her firm from Hardman, I care about each one of these characters. Suits gave us more insight as to why these characters are the way that they are while still leaving a whole bunch of mystery and intrigue. And I’m in 100% Where Harvey Spector goes, I will follow!
- This was the year Caskett shippers. Our favorite crime solving duo was getting together and Andrew Marlowe didn’t disappoint. Not only did their pairing not spoil the show, it’s made it even stronger. Now that Beckett knows who was behind her mother’s murder, it’s just a matter of how she will handle it moving forward. Now if only they can take care of a little thorn in their side known as 3XK.
- Shonda Rhimes, I applaud you. I’m not your biggest fan, for reasons I won’t get into in this post because it isn’t relevant, but you have knocked this show out of the park woman! Scandal is the perfect show in many ways. It has characters you are deeply invested in and it has story lines that suck you in completely. Just when I thought Scandal couldn’t get any better, the last 3 episodes before the winter break occurred. My head couldn’t stop spinning. My jaw couldn’t stop dropping. It was one twist after another that kept me wanting more. Is it Jan 10th yet?
- Game of Thrones
- As soon as Ramin Djawadi’s Main Title kicks in, I am flushed with anticipation for what I am about to watch. Who knew George R. R. Martin’s series, A Song of Ice and Fire, would bring such a riveting, heart-pounding, water cooler inducing show to HBO. I heard the buzz around this show but never in my wildest imagination thought I would fall in love as much as I have. While there is a lot to take in and this year’s season had even more thrown at us, I don’t mind rewatching episodes over and over to learn something new. People might argue it’s a sign of a show with too much going on. I say, it’s a sign of a great show. But I still miss Ned Stark!!! And if someone doesn’t kill Joffrey soon, I’m going to lose my mind!
- Pretty Little Liars
- I’m not embarrassed to say that I love a good teen drama. PLL fits the bill season after season. Well written and crafted, I love where this show takes me each week. Of course the big reveal at the end of the summer run, was that another member of the A team was none other than Spencer’s boyfriend Toby! Not as much of a shocker as it was a disappointment because of everything these girls have been through, to be betrayed by one of their own will crush them when they find out. The question is, when will they know?
- Person of Interest
- While this was a show that piled up on my DVR last year (until I was yelled at by my family at Thanksgiving to start watching), this has become must see TV for my husband and I. The thing I like best about this show in 2012, is the effortless way it has entered humor into the show. I didn’t remember the show being so funny last year but this year, it has injected humor at all the right moments. I like the fact that Carter and Fusco are working with Finch and Reese rather than in secret. It almost makes me wish this were true just so I would know Jim Caviezel always has my back, looking out for me, ready to destroy 15 men all at once!
- Survivor Philippines
- Survivor had some tough seasons the last few go arounds. But Philippines brought it back to its glory days. You had villains, you had great athletes, you had smart, strategic game play, you had hot men and women…and of course the incomparable Jeff Probst! It was the perfect season in many ways. Can Fans vs. Favorites Part Deux live up to the hype? Probst says it will. I’ll be tuning in!
Honorable Mention goes to Dexter, Veep, Rizzoli & Isles, Ben & Kate, and Arrow.
I just wanted to add how hard it was to keep Dexter off this list. I was going to do a 10a and 10b but that’s cheating. To make a true top 10, one show had to go. It was a toss up between The Good Wife and Dexter because I thought TGW did have an “uh-oh, what the hell is THAT storyline” moment with Kalinda and her husband. But even with that aside, it’s still the best written show on TV and the cast is flipping phenomenal. Dexter had an amazing comeback season after two dreadful seasons. It was so hard to keep it off the list. But something had to give. I should have made it a Top 11 but that’s so not right.
That’s my best list. What’s yours? And stay tuned…the worst list is coming up next!