Make sure you check out the main page for an update on the 2014 Mid Season Premiere Dates. Game of Thrones, Mad Men, About A Boy, Believe, Survivor, the Amazing Race, and more have all been added.
Monthly Archives: January 2014
It’s dumb to say that Parenthood is having a good season. It ALWAYS has a good season. But there are a few story lines that really hit home with me so I’m going to touch on the big ones.
Joel and Julia
This was the couple that historically was kind of on the back burner in regards to the Braverman crew. There is always Sarah’s drama (and Amber and Drew have had lots of story lines.) Crosby and Adam are always front and center. Then there was Julia. Granted last year they got more juicy material with them adopting Victor after trying to have another baby, Julia losing her job, Joel going back to work. They were getting more into the Braverman story line flow. But no matter what was going on with Joel and Julia, like Adam and Kristina, they were solid. Then this season hit. What was once the second strongest relationship on the show (behind Adam and Kristina) is now disintegrating before our eyes.
In the last two episodes, Joel has become more suspicious of Julia’s relationship with Ed. It got ugly last week when Joel punched Ed at a school function because Julia was trying to calmly ask a very drunk Ed to leave her alone and he wouldn’t. So Joel stepped in and not so calmly took care of it. It led to a painful exchange where Joel asked Julia if they were having an affair and she said no. Let’s discuss that for a minute. Do you guys think what she had with Ed constituted as an affair? I don’t and here’s why. While I do believe you can have an affair that doesn’t have any physical component whatsoever, I don’t think that totally happened here. Julia and Ed really started as just friends. That’s all. And becoming a good friend with someone of the opposite sex (or same-sex if you’re gay) does not automatically mean you are having an emotional affair. Let’s clear that up. But I do think that it was starting to cross a line and may have crossed (I’m taking before the kiss) that line but I think as soon as Julia started to realize what was going on, she stopped it. Granted I wouldn’t have done it the way she did, going over to his house I think sends a confusing message, which resulted in a kiss, but I think her intention was to cut it off. See to me, an affair is something you choose to do over a period of time even knowing what you are doing is wrong. Whether it’s physical or not, it doesn’t happen in a vacuum and it doesn’t happen over night. It’s a long process with two willing participants. Are there jerks who cheat for no reason? Sure there are. But I think there is a difference between cheating and an affair. Cheating is solely physical. An affair is emotional, physical, spiritual…it’s a complex issue signifying a greater problem in an established relationship. I know it may sound like semantics and for some people whether you call it cheating or an affair it’s the same thing and I understand that. But for me, I think it’s two different things. In this case the Julia/Ed thing hasn’t been going on that long. They were just friends at first. I don’t think it was until the last month that Julia felt something more. And while she liked being around someone she could talk to and someone who understood exactly what she was going through, once it started to become more and that Joel was making an effort at home, she decided this had to stop. I also think she was confused and alone and made some very bad judgement calls that I’m sure she’d like to take back. But I don’t think I’d call it a full-blown affair. I think it was a friendship that started to turn deeper because of her lack of connection at home as when it did, she ended it. She should have ended it without a kiss but once that happened, she completely blocked Ed from her life. And to be fair, she wasn’t completely honest with Joel when she said Ed kissed her and there was nothing back from her. I don’t think so girlfriend! You kissed Ed right back for a little while so don’t pretend it was all him. But hey, at least she told Joel the truth in that the kiss happened.
Joel and Julia have had many gut wrenching scenes this year but her telling Joel about how unhappy she’s been and what happened between her and Ed and how the friendship evolved, was so sad. But the worst was when she told him about the kiss. You can tell this was killing her because she knew she was going to break her husband’s heart. She looked like she was going to vomit all over the table and I was right with her because I knew what was coming. It was awful. And then to see Joel and how crushed he was and then how angry he was…it was devastating. And I don’t blame him. For the hurt he’s feeling, for the anger he has towards Julia, if I were in his shoes, I’d be the same way. I can only imagine that nothing can prepare you for hearing your spouse tell you they kissed another person. So what happens now? Julia wants to go to counseling and Joel has said he’s done and that their marriage isn’t worth saving. Ouch. I really believe at this point he’s just so hurt and angry (and rightfully so) that he doesn’t want any part of Julia or their life together, except for the kids. I have to believe (or maybe it’s my wishful thinking) that they will work this out. It won’t be this season for sure. But maybe next season by the end, they are working their way back to one another and they’ll be stronger for it. Fingers crossed!
I have to say, the way the writers have handled this is brilliant. It’s not your typical cheating, soap opera story line. This is how it goes down in the real world. And in the real world, good couples and good people make bad choices and then have to deal with the consequences. Some work through it with a lot of hard work and dedication and find a way to rebuild their marriage. Others, it’s too painful and too hard because the trust is broken and they just can’t get it back. So they have to move on. And that happens. I just hope in the case of J&J, the former happens instead of the latter. But I’m scared because Katims seems to be the kind of guy that wants to take a hard road in a story line if it makes sense. He hasn’t yet. When Crosby and Jasmine had their issues and broke up, they got back together (ugh.) When Kristina had cancer, she beat it and survived. When Amber spiraled out of control, an accident happened but not too bad she couldn’t recover. Nothing catastrophic has happened…yet. So why do I have a bad feeling and J&J might be the first big casualty of Parenthood? I hope I’m wrong but I just have a bad feeling.
The story lines that focus on Max’s Aspberger’s Syndrome (AS) are so hard for me because I don’t have a family member or friend with that condition and the last thing I want to do is to come off ignorant or insensitive. But I do want to discuss the handling of Max from Adam and Kristina’s standpoint. But it’s hard because I can’t figure out if how Adam and Kristina are handling the situation with Max, is the correct way or not. I understand that when Max does something awful (like he did with Micah) it’s because he doesn’t understand the emotional impact of his actions. But his parents do. Is trying to fix it with tickets to basketball game really the answer? Isn’t it better (although harder) to explain to Max that when he is so honest, he can then hurt someone’s feelings or offend them greatly because not everyone sees things the way Max does. And as a result, he could lose friends. I mean I don’t want the boy to be afraid to try to make a friend again, but can he intelligently understand that point? I don’t know. I’ve tried to find some forums and blogs of parents with Aspie kids who may watch Parenthood to see what their take is. Mostly I find that these parents hate the show and think that what Adam and Kristina are doing with Max is wrong. That wasn’t always the case, there were some sites where people were very positive on the show and EVERYONE raves about Max Burkholder’s portrayal. The big issue is Adam and Kristina and quite frankly, that’s always been my question. Not being a parent I can only assume that parenting a child with AS is much different from parenting a neurotypical (NT) child (a child without a form of autism.) But, if you’ve read any of my other posts on Max, Adam, and Kristina, I always question just how forgiving parents of Aspie’s should be when it comes to behavior. Because I don’t know. I watch the things Max does and says and I wonder how Adam and Kristina allow him to behave that way. Some I understand he can’t control but does that give Max the right to behave however he chooses? According to some of these sites I’ve read, it doesn’t.
In the case of last week with Micah, Max told him basketball was stupid and that Micah was an idiot for wanting to play because he’s in a wheelchair so he can’t play. Adam’s resolution was ok then apologize and invite him to a basketball game and it will all be ok. What? Is he kidding? I understand he wants to protect his son. I understand he doesn’t want to see Max lose his only friend. I get that. But like Kristina told him, they can’t always clean up his problems for him. At some point he has to realize there are consequences to his behavior and I don’t think Adam and Kristina have always taught him that. Adam has to realize that Micah, who is a NT, isn’t going to be willing to forgive someone who was so rude and offensive to him and that bribing him with tickets to a Warriors game, isn’t going to cut it. But instead of teaching Max this lesson, he tries to just make it go away. How is this good for Max? How is this going to set him up in the future to be able to cope with more challenging circumstances…like if he has as job and says the wrong thing and gets fired. Then what? He won’t have the coping skills to work through it.
It’s also why I think this relationship with Hank has to stop. I used to think it was good for Max and now I don’t think it is. When Max was telling Hank about the situation with Micah, Hank agreed with Max. That is not what Max needs to hear right now, especially not from an adult. Max needs to understand that you cannot speak to people who way. But Hank is basically telling him that he’s right and Micah’s wrong. NOOOOOO!! Not the message that should be sent! But we’re starting to see Hank tangle with his own inner demons wondering if he’s a long-lost Aspie himself. And with all due respect, while I think it would be fascinating to see an undiagnosed adult learn about having AS 40+ years later, I just don’t want to see it. I don’t. I don’t mind Hank as a fringe character but not as a character with his own story line. I just don’t need that right now. And Max doesn’t need Hank right now. I think Adam and Kristina need to get Max back with a one on one counselor (like they had with Minka Kelly’s character) and get him back on the right track. Because if things keep going this way, Max is going to be a very lonely person one day. If Adam thinks his heart is breaking now, try watching your adult AS son that you didn’t help, that you didn’t give coping skills to, struggle in his adult life because you didn’t handle him in the way that was best for him because it was too hard for you. That will be a tough pill to swallow.
In other news, Amber initially wants nothing to do with Ryan anymore and coldly (but understandably) shows him the door and asks him to go as fast as he can. After Ryan and Zeek talk, Zeek goes to Amber and tells her that while she’s hurt, she does love him and should at least say good-bye to him. Eventually Amber does just that and we have a very tearful good-bye to a character I liked very much. He isn’t ready to be with Amber right now and this whole wedding thing was happening too fast. But it sucks it had to end like that. I guess it could have been worse. Just please, please, PLEASE…don’t kill him over there. I don’t think Amber could survive that.
Sarah got a job as a photographer with Surf Shop, or something like that, with a little help from hottie Dr. Carl and from the fact that Hank was so obnoxious in his interview that the contact for Surf Shop didn’t want to work with him. Problem is, she has no equipment, studio, or experience. So she goes to Hank for help and he’s a real douchbag about it. He makes her admits she’s in over her head and makes her pay him 50/50 of the job. I understand he doesn’t do charity work but you know what, you lost the job because of your attitude. At least the person who got the job has a connection with you and has asked that you work together so you’ll be getting something instead of nothing for the gig. Sarah hasn’t always been my favorite character because of her choices and the way she handles things drive me crazy, but she’s been much better this season and I think she’s really trying to make a career for herself. So what that it’s a bigger job than she’s ready for and who cares how she got it. She has a chance to prove herself and make a name for herself. And Hank made her feel bad about it. Screw you Hank. If I were Sarah, I would have gone to another photographer and worked with them instead. Or, spent some money and got the equipment and started studying hard to get as prepared as possible for the job. Nothing beats experience but she doesn’t need Hank.
That’s pretty much the big stuff. What are you thinking of Parenthood? What do you think about this whole J&J story line? What do you think about the way Adam and Kristina are handling Max? Are you sad about Amber and Ryan? Are you hoping Sarah succeeds? Sound off below!
I say this every year…I love the Golden Globes! It’s one of three award shows I look forward to every year with the GG being my favorite (the other two are the Tony’s and the Emmy’s.) I love watching everyone get all boozed up and either presenting or accepting awards. It’s fabulous. Plus, as Amy Poehler put last year, it’s where the beauty of movie stars rubs elbows with the rat faces of TV. Love her. AND SHE WON!!!! Ok I’m jumping ahead. But I’m starting with her and Tina Fey.
Tina Fey and Amy Poehler hosted again this year. Just when I was nervous they couldn’t top last year’s brilliance, they did. I honestly believe it has something to do with their friendship. You’ve seen other pairs over the years host award shows and they are so stiff and uncomfortable with one another because they don’t know each other as well. This doesn’t happen all the time. But recently, it seems to be the case. As with James Franco and Anne Hathaway and Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin. And don’t even get me started on the year the reality hosts “hosted.” What a disaster. But Fey and Poehler know each other so well, they work seamlessly together. They just fit. They are the female Turk and J.D. You can’t imaging Chris Turk without John Dorian right? Just like I can’t imagine with Tina without Amy. They are perfection and they were again last night. From the fantastic opening monologue to Tina introducing her “son” Mr Golden Globe Randy, to Poehler making out with Bono once winning her award, they didn’t have a bad spot all night. My two favorite jokes had to be these two zingers:
- “Gravity is nominated for Best Film. It’s the story of how George Clooney would rather float away into space and die then spend one more minute with a woman his own age.”
- “And now, like a supermodel’s vagina, let’s all give a warm welcome to Leonardo DiCaprio”
The only thing you could say that was bad, was that they weren’t on stage enough. There was probably a good hour to hour and 15 minutes where you didn’t see them at all. But there are a lot of awards to get through so I can understand that. I just wish the spacing was better so we didn’t go so long without seeing the dynamic duo on stage.
- Emma Thompson’s Presentation. She strolled right up on stage with a martini in one hand and her Christian Louboutin’s in the other. Brilliant! She was obvious feeling good but was still completely together and absolutely charming on stage. A+ Ms. Thompson!
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine’s Big Night. There has been a ton of controversy over this. I don’t get it. I think B99 is damn good show. It’s funny, well written, well acted. This was a show that right from the pilot was cruising like this show has been on for 3 seasons. The cast chemistry is fantastic. They all play off one another so well. It’s very natural how the dialogue and reactions flow. B99 didn’t have the yips early on like some comedies do and then hit their stride. They hit their stride in the pilot and haven’t looked back. They just aren’t getting the big ratings. I don’t think Dads as a lead in helps. But this is a solid show that against that competition deserved the win. As did Andy Samberg. Great writer, great delivery, excellent comedic timing, his chemistry with Andre Braugher is perfection. Absolutely well deserved honors on both fronts. Season 2 here they come!!!!
- Diane Keaton. When I’m 68 years old, I hope to look 10% as good as Diane Keaton. She. Is. Gorgeous! She gave a beautiful speech last night honoring the disgusting Woody Allen and was gracious, classy, and elegant as always. I’ve heard a few people are upset with honoring of Woody Allen and by extension, Diane Keaton’s speech accepting the award on his behalf. I’ll talk about Woody Allen below but I think people need to revisit their hostility towards Keaton. She was asked to accept an award on his behalf. What is she supposed to do? Get up there and talk about what a vile person he is? Of course not! And she has a much different relationship with him than many other people do so if she wants to salute her friend, so be it. Not to mention, it wouldn’t have been appropriate for her to rip him to shreds….and who knows if she would want to. I don’t know what she feels about him personally. But professionally, he helped launch her to stardom. So I can understand if she wants to be very benevolent in her speech. Plus, this was an award honoring his career, not his personal life choices. I think she did a wonderful job and looked spectacular in doing so.
- Breaking Bad and Bryan Cranston. The final year of Breaking Bad and the show and Cranston got much deserved props (from what I understand.) I’m one of the few idiots in the world who have not watched one second of Breaking Bad. However, it is on my Netflix and the husband and I are planning a major marathon this summer because we don’t have one friend who watches this show who has ever said a bad thing about it. And of course all the national press it receives is off the charts. And I already know I’m going to love it so I already know how happy I am that BB and Cranston won last night!
- Matthew McConaughey. All right, all right, all right! Love him! I was really happy for his win last night because he was so good in “Dallas Buyers Club.” He’s on fire lately with tons of movie and a hot new TV show, True Detective, to boot. He’s come a long way from Dazed and Confused!! But man, please put those 45 pounds back on….waaaaaay too skinny still.
- Speeches: Amy Adams, Amy Poehler, Alex Ebert, Alfonso Cuaron, Andy Samberg, and Elizabeth Moss. I love heartfelt speeches and each one of these people gave a touching, emotional, real speech that I just wanted to mention them. Other speeches were good as well but these really stood out to me. Moss gushing about her talented brother and thanking her mom and hoping she’ll be 1 tenth the woman that she is…wow did I need some Kleenex. Adams honestly saying she’s was hoping she’d just get a commercial someday….look at her now. Cuaron explaining that he told Sandra Bullock not that “he was going to give her herpes” but that “he was going to give her an earpiece.” LOL, classic. Ebert thanking the production team for “letting him try all over their movie.” Poehler for just being Poehler. And Samberg for being so completely surprised and having no speech just winging it and “thanking everybody” including his “team.” Oh and I also loved Dan Goor, one of the co-creator’s of B99 who said in regards to him not going to med school “that this was way better than saving a human life.”
- Taylor Swift not winning. Enough said.
Not So Favorite Moments
- Jacqueline Bisset’s Speech. What. Was. That? Seriously, has she stopped talking yet? You want to talk about being CRAZY uncomfortable watching someone on stage and that was me watching Bisset. What the hell was she talking about…when she was talking. It took her 30 seconds just to start talking then when she did, she never stopped blabbering some sort of gibberish. Wow. I was happy for her to win but I don’t ever need to see a speech like that again.
- P Diddy, Puff Daddy, Sean Combs, whatever he’s called this week, hitting the Ciroc a little too much. Diddy, stop. Just stop. Not everything is about you. You were presenting but the night is about the nominees and the winners. NOT YOU. So back off and let these people have their moment. On a side note, U2 totally blowing him off when he came in for a handshake was hilarious!!
- Melissa McCarthy and Jimmy Fallon’s presentation. I love both of these comedians but this just fell very flat. And it went on too long. It’s disappointing too because these two are talented and funny but last night was bad.
- Woody Allen getting the Cecil B DeMile Award. I don’t like Woody Allen as a person. I think he’s disgusting. But that’s besides the point. Woody Allen is one of those directors and film makers that either people love or hate. You either get him or you don’t. I don’t like his films and I don’t get him. I never did. Maybe I’m not sophisticated enough to appreciate his work (although I can appreciate the longevity of his career) and that’s why I’ve never been able to understand the gushing praise over his films. But that’s my opinion. Many others will disagree and that’s fine.
What did you think of the GGs? What were your favorite or head scratching moments of the night? Let me know!
When I first saw the preview for “Homecoming” after the fabulousness that was “Exodus” the first thing that popped into my head was that Emily Thorne is faking her amnesia. Actually that’s a lie. When she first said “Who am I?” in that promo, I gasped and said “Holy Shit now that’s the way to press to reset button.” THEN I thought, no way she’s faking it. But after watching the episode, now I’m not so sure.
In my mind, one of two things is going to happen (which means neither will) she’s either lost her memory for real and will get it back only to then fake it until she can come up with another game plan. Or she’s doing a masterful job of faking it now and faking it with everyone until she can figure out what to do next. At this point, I really don’t think she’s faking. If she was faking, why in the world would she tell Charlotte that her dad is David Clarke? And next week’s preview appears to show Emily showing her infinity box to Victoria. NO WAY she’s faking. Unless there is some king of CRAZY twist and scheme Emily has concocted she would never show that information to Victoria! So if she really does have amnesia, which I think she does at this point, how long will she have it and when she does regain her memories, will she tell people? And whom does she tell?
I love where the show is potentially going with this. Because let’s be honest, you can only have a show of “revenge on the Graysons” for so long until people start to get tired of the premise because it’s going nowhere. SO you have to do something to change it up. I’ve always thought this was a 5-6 season show because of the premise but now with this amnesia and what it appears the Graysons will now discover about Emily, who knows where it goes from here. It could possibly turn into revenge from both sides…Emily going after the Graysons (once she gets her memory back) and the Graysons going after Emily for lying and deceiving them for so long. I love it!
And I’m just going to throw this out there….PUT EMILY WITH JACK! No more Aiden. No more French girl (although I have come to like her more than I did initially.) This episode shows that Jack still loves her and I believe deep down, she still loves him. Plus every scene they are in, sparks just fly! Emily and Aiden…not so much, at least not for me. So I’d like to see Aiden go and have Emily, Jack, and Nolan be the team that takes down the Graysons.
What do you think? Do you like where the show is going with the amnesia angle? Sound off below!
I actually did this podcast a while ago but because of the holidays and being sick, I didn’t post about it until now. Feel free to check it out here. or download it from iTunes!
Happy New Year! So glad I’m not sick anymore but this crazy weather of 50 degrees one day and 9 the next isn’t helping. Ugh!
The mid-season premieres and returning shows are upon us so I have updated that sections with all the latest dates and shows. And just to reiterate, if a show isn’t on there (like Game of Thrones) it’s because it doesn’t have a date yet. GoT should be in April at some point but nothing has been officially announced yet (come on people we’re dying over here!!!)
Here’s what I’m most looking forward to in 2014:
- How I Met Your Mother: the series finale.
- Sleepy Hollow
- The Blacklist
- The Following
- The Good Wife
- The Americans
- Agents of SHIELD
- Orphan Black
- The Winter Olympics!
- True Detective
- Black Sails
- About a Boy
Not a whole lot of new shows I’m checking out. I can’t keep up with what I currently watch so if it really doesn’t blow me away, I’m out before I start! Sorry!
What about you? What are you looking forward to seeing return or premiere?