I don’t know why I bother to watch the Emmy Nominations shin dig every year. I really don’t. All it does it get me mad and frustrated. Plus, I feel like I write the same post each year about how annoyed I am. Seriously I have to write one more time about how Nurse Jackie isn’t a comedy, I may throw something at my TV. I’m not kidding, these Emmy voters must watch the same 10 shows and nothing else. As I always say (and mean) congratulations to each and every person and show nominated. It’s such a great honor and you should be thrilled by your accomplishments. Doesn’t mean I’m always happy about it, but that shouldn’t diminish your joy and happiness. Because I’m sure Hollywood is waiting with bated breath to hear what I have to say about them.
What Do I Love/Like
- Veep nominated in the comedy category as well as JLD getting another nomination. The show is hilarious and I would love to see it de-throne Modern Family…but it won’t.
- Amy Poehler with ANOTHER nomination. Can she FINALLY win this year? Please? Someone? Anyone hear me? Hello? She really deserves to win.
- Jason Bateman and Matt LeBlanc. Love it!! Bateman is great in that role and even though it seems like Episodes is NEVER on, that is another really funny show and he’s terrific in it.
- Anna Chlumsky and Tony Hale getting some Veep love…nice!
- The Newsroom NOT being nominated for Best Drama. Is that awful?
- The Best Drama Category is fabulous. It’s still missing the Good Wife and Parenthood but I’ll get to that later.
- Kerry Washington, Emilia Clarke, Mandy Patankin, Damien Lewis, Claire Danes, Christine Baranski, and Peter Dinklage…yeah!!!! Although Dinklage is more a leading man than supporting but since Edie Falco still gets nominated in the “comedy” category, I’ll let it slip.
- Political Animals love. I’m still fired up that show got canceled.
- The Modern Family Category (OKA Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy) is getting smaller! We’re down to three from four. Though I’m not sure how Eric Stonestreet is left out but I can’t figure these people out.
What Do I Hate/Not LIke So Much
- STILL NO PARENTHOOD LOVE. I guess I have to give up at this point. It’s obvious the Emmy voters don’t watch this show. Or have no taste in good acting and writing because I can’t fathom how in this TV universe that the show isn’t nominated for Best Drama, Monica Potter (who is amazing every year but took it to a level I didn’t think possible this year) isn’t nominated for anything, Mae Whitman isn’t nominated for anything. I. Don’t. Get. It. And every year nothing about Parenthood is recognized is another year I have less respect for these people.
- All the Girls love. I’m not seeing it. I know I’m the only person in the world who probably feels this way but I just don’t see it.
- No Parks and Rec Best Comedy. Still no Nick Offerman love.
- Connie Britton for Nashville. Now don’t get me wrong. I LOVE Connie Britton and think she’s great. But I think this was a stretch. If anything, I would have given this nod to Hayden Panettiere. I’ve never really thought much of her acting but WOW did she show me something this year and I thought she was remarkable. HUGE snub there.
- Jeff Daniels? Um, ok.
- Other notable snubs (in no particular order): Monica Potter (it’s that bad she’s listed again) Jeff Perry (Scandal), Michelle Fairley (Game of Thrones), Parenthood, Scandal, Jim Caviezal (Person of Interest), Donnie Wahlberg (Blue Bloods), Jennifer Carpenter (Dexter), Julianna Margulies (The Good Wife), The Good Wife, Bellamy Young (Scandal), Guillermo Diaz (Scandal), Maisie Williams (Game of Thrones), Nikolaj Coster Waldau (Game of Thrones), Charles Dance (Game of Thrones), New Girl, Max Greenfield (New Girl), Zooey Deschanel (New Girl), The Americans, Keri Russell (The Americans), Matthew Rhys (The Americans), Margo Martindale (The Americans), Martha Plimpton (Raising Hope), Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother.) Seriously, if Modern Family can have a 100 nominations, why not Game of Thrones????
I can rant and rave all I want (because it’s fun) but it doesn’t make a difference. Certain shows and certain people are nominated every year and other shows and other people have allegedly peed in the Cheerios of the nominating committee because they can never seem to get recognized for their work. It’s really a shame because there is some AMAZING work being accomplished on the small screen but it seems to be getting ignored. So I think I will have to come up with my own list and my own awards and that will make me happy. Because let’s face it, it’s all about ME!!
Aside from all my nonsense, again, congrats to all the nominees!!!
List of Nominees:
Modern Family – ABC
The Big Bang Theory – CBS
Louie – FX
30 Rock – NBC
Girls – HBO
Veep – HBO
Lead Actress in a Comedy Series
Tina Fey – 30 Rock
Amy Poehler – Parks and Recreation
Julia Louis Dreyfus – Veep
Edie Falco – Nurse Jackie
Laura Dern – Enlightened
Lena Dunham – Girls
Lead Actor in a Comedy Series
Alec Baldwin – 30 Rock
Jim Parsons – Big Bang Theory
Don Cheadle – House of Lies
Jason Bateman – Arrested Development
Louis C.K. – Louie
Matt LeBlanc – Episodes
Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series
Jane Krakowski – 30 Rock
Jane Lynch – Glee
Julie Bowen – Modern Family
Sofia Vergara – Modern Family
Mayim Bialik – Big Bang Theory
Merritt Wever – Nurse Jackie
Anna Chlumsky – Veep
Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series
Adam Driver – Girls
Jesse Tyler Ferguson – Modern Family
Ty Burrell – Modern Family
Ed O’Neill – Modern Family
Bill Hader – Saturday Night Live
Tony Hale – Veep
Breaking Bad – AMC
Mad Men – AMC
Homeland – Showtime
Game of Thrones – HBO
Downton Abbey – PBS
House of Cards – Netflilx
Lead Actress in a Drama Series
Connie Britton – Nashville
Claire Danes – Homeland
Michelle Dockery – Downton Abbey
Vera Farmiga – Bates Motel
Elisabeth Moss – Mad Men
Kerry Washington – Scandal
Robin Wright – House of Cards
Lead Actor in an Drama Series
Hugh Boneville – Downton Abbey
Bryan Cranston – Breaking Bad
Jeff Daniels – Newsroom
Jon Hamm – Mad Men
Damian Lewis – Homeland
Kevin Spacey – House of Cards
Supporting Actress in a Drama Series
Anna Gunn – Breaking Bad
Christina Hendricks – Mad Men
Maggie Smith – Downton Abbey
Emilia Clark – Game of Thrones
Morena Baccarin – Homeland
Christine Baranski – The Good Wife
Supporting Actor in a Drama Series
Bobby Cannavale – Boardwalk Empire
Jonathan Banks – Breaking Bad
Aaron Paul – Breaking Bad
Jim Carter – Downton Abbey
Peter Dinklage – Game of Thrones
Mandy Patinkin – Homeland
Miniseries or Movie
The Bible – History
American Horror Story: Asylum – FX
Behind the Candelabra – HBO
Phil Spector – HBO
Political Animals – USA
Top of the Lake – Sundance Channel
Lead Actress in a Miniseries or Movie
Jessica Lange – American Horror Story: Asylum
Laura Linney – The Big C: Hereafter
Helen Mirren – Phil Spector
Elizabeth Moss – Top of the Lake
Sigourney Weaver – Political Animals
Lead Actor in a Miniseries or Movie
Benedict Cumberbatch – Parade’s End
Matt Damon – Behind the Candelabra
Michael Douglas – Behind the Candelabra
Toby Jones – The Girl
Al Pacino – Phil Spector
Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or Movie
Ellen Burstyn – Political Animals
Imelda Staunton – The Girl
Charlotte Rampling – Restless
Sarah Paulson – American Horror Story: Asylum
Alfre Woodard – Steel Magnolias
Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or Movie
James Cromwell – American Horror Story: Asylum
Scott Bakula – Behind the Candelabra
John Benjamin Hickey – The Big C: Hereafter
Peter Mullen – Top of the Lake
Zachary Quinto – American Horror Story: Asylum
The Daily Show With John Stewart – Comedy Central
The Colbert Report – Comedy Central
Jimmy Kimmel Live – ABC
Late Night With Jimmy Fallon – NBC
Real Time With Bill Maher – HBO
Saturday Night Live – NBC
Reality – Competition Program
The Amazing Race – CBS
Dancing With the Stars – ABC
Project Runway – Lifetime
The Voice – NBC
So You Think You Can Dance – Fox
Top Chef – Bravo
Host for a Reality or Reality-Competition Series
Ryan Seacrest – American Idol
Tom Bergeron – Dancing With The Stars
Cat Deeley – So You Think You Can Dance
Anthony Broudain – The Taste
Heidi Klum and Tim Gunn – Project Runway
Betty White – Betty White’s Off Their Rockers