Now let’s take a look at the comedy noms. Again, congratulations to everyone involved in all the shows and actors nominated!
The Big Bang Theory
Parks and Recreation
OUTSTANDING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY
Edie Falco, Nurse Jackie
Tina Fey, 30 Rock
Laura Linney, The Big C
Melissa McCarthy, Mike & Molly
Martha Plimpton, Raising Hope
Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation
OUTSTANDING ACTOR IN A COMEDY
Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock
Louis C.K., Louie
Steve Carell, The Office
Johnny Galecki, The Big Bang Theory
Matt LeBlanc, Episodes
Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory
OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY
Chris Colfer, Glee
Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Modern Family
Ed O’Neill, Modern Family
Eric Stonestreet, Modern Family
Ty Burrell, Modern Family
Jon Cryer, Two and a Half Men
OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY
Jane Lynch, Glee
Betty White, Hot In Cleveland
Julie Bowen, Modern Family
Sofia Vergara, Modern Family
Kristen Wiig, Saturday Night Live
Jane Krakowski, 30 Rock
OUTSTANDING GUEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY
Idris Elba, The Big C
Nathan Lane, Modern Family
Zach Galifianakis, Saturday Night Live
Justin Timberlake, Saturday Night Live
Matt Damon, 30 Rock
Will Arnett, 30 Rock
OUTSTANDING GUEST ACTRESS IN A COMEDY
Kristin Chenoweth, Glee
Dot-Marie Jones, Glee
Gwyneth Paltrow, Glee
Cloris Leachman, Raising Hope
Tina Fey, Saturday Night Live
Elizabeth Banks, 30 Rock
OUTSTANDING REALITY SHOW HOST
Phil Keoghan, The Amazing Race
Ryan Seacrest, American Idol
Tom Bergeron, Dancing With the Stars
Cat Deeley, So You Think You Can Dance
Jeff Probst, Survivor
OUTSTANDING REALITY SHOW COMPETITION
The Amazing Race
Dancing With the Stars
So You Think You Can Dance
OUTSTANDING VARIETY, MUSIC, OR COMEDY SERIES
The Colbert Report
The Daily Show With Jon Stewart
Late Night With Jimmy Fallon
Real Time With Bill Maher
Saturday Night Live
OUTSTANDING TV MINISERIES OR MOVIE
The Pillars of the Earth
Too Big To Fail
For those of you who follow my blog with regularity, you know what’s coming next…..GLEE WAS NOMINATED FOR OUTSTANDING COMEDY????? WHAT!!!! No Community? No How I Met Your Mother? No Cougar Town? No Episodes? WHAT!!!! I’m going to be saying that a lot over the next several statements. Shit, Better with You was better than Glee was this season. But where Lauren Graham didn’t find the right person to sleep with, apparently Ryan Murphy did. GLEE????? WHAT!!!!!
What I am happy about:
- Big Bang and The Office being nominated for Outstanding Comedy. It took a few years for Big Bang to get in this category, finally! So I am very happy for the cast and crew. The Office has been sputtering over the years but I was happy to see the committee reward them for what was a great season.
- Matt LeBlanc for Episodes!!! I loved Episodes so I am thrilled LeBlanc was nominated for this because he was great! (Although a little disappointed there was no love for Tamsin Greig.)
- Melissa McCarthy getting a nod! She is terrific on Mike & Molly and she has been a solid actress in TV now for many many years. I was so happy she got her own show where she is the main actress and now I am thrilled for her to see her get an Emmy nom!
- Team CoCo baby!!! I am beyond tickled to see Conan get an Emmy nom and The Tonight Show with Jay Leno get nothing! What goes around….
- Martha Plimpton gets the Raising Hope nom!!! Good for her. She’s awesome!! I’m surprised she also didn’t get a guest star nom in the drama category for her role on The Good Wife. But I can’t be greedy!!!
- Johnny Galecki AND Jim Parsons are nominated!!! I remember when it was pulling teeth to get ONE of them nominated and now they are both in there. Way to go!!!!
What I am PISSED about:
- I already said it but I am saying it again because it is THAT preposterous….Glee nominated for OUTSTANDING comedy. I’m sorry, what part of Glee’s second season was outstanding? I would really like someone to tell me? Was it the amazing character development? Nope that didn’t happen. Was it the riveting story telling? Nope, that was missing too. Was it the across the board stellar acting from the cast? Well…to be fair…this cast is pretty terrific. They get nothing to work with so they do make lemonade out of lemons every week. So someone really needs to explain to me how Glee was outstanding this year? Even the music wasn’t as good! Do I even need to talk about the original songs? I didn’t think so.
- The Modern Family Category (aka: outstanding supporting actor in a comedy.) Other than Chris Colfer and Jon Cryer, the ONLY other worthy noms for supporting actor in a comedy are from Modern Family? Really? Does Jason Segal from HIMYM ring a bell for his work this season? How about ANY of the characters from Community or Parks and Rec? Are you kidding me? And this second season of MF wasn’t HALF as good as the first season. How is it EVERY adult cast member on Modern Family is nominated but there is no room for ANYONE from Cougar Town, Community, HIMYM, or Parks and Rec? And I need to make something clear. I LOVE the cast of Modern Family. It is up there with one of the best ensemble casts on TV. I love them. But this is overkill, I’m sorry.
- Edie Falco for Nurse Jackie in the COMEDY category. Have you seen Nurse Jackie? Me too. Have you ever bust a gut cracking up while watching Nurse Jackie? Me neither. Nurse Jackie was in the comedy realm last season too. Someone explain to me how Nurse Jackie is a comedy? Even Edie Falco can’t explain it! When she accepted her Emmy last year for lead actress, she was just as shocked as the rest of us that Nurse Jackie was even IN this category. What does that tell you? It’s tells you there was no room for Falco in the drama category, the committee loves her, so they moved her show to comedy to get her a nom and win. And please, that is not a knock on Falco who is one of my favorite TV/Broadway actresses ever!! Don’t even get me started how phenomenal she was as Frankie in Frankie and Johnny in the Claire de Lune on Broadway (with Stanley Tucci!) It’s a knock on the Academy for how they manipulate things to get what they want.
- Nothing for Community, How I Met Your Mother, or Cougar Town. I guess similar to the drama category, the committee only watches a handful of comedies, therefore comedies like Community, HIMYM, and CT are left out in the cold. I seriously don’t know how Jason Segal, Courteney Cox, Danny Pudi, or Alison Brie (just to name a few because there are more) didn’t get noticed. Maybe it’s because they aren’t on Modern Family. Community and CT had their best seasons yet and HIMYM rebounded to have a really strong fifth season. I don’t understand how iTunes, I mean Glee, gets nominated but these three shows get nothing. NOTHING!!! Not one acting nod, not the show, not a guest star. NOTHING!!! Something isn’t right here.
I know I’m being really harsh and I don’t like being like that. But I get very passionate when my peeps get snubbed!!! And I can’t say this enough…my beef is not with the actors themselves but the committee and how they choose. Every single one of these actors work their asses off and deserve the rewards they receive for their hard work. And I honestly congratulate each and every nominee. My personal opinion is that I think the committee gets very tunnel visioned on shows and actors and refuse to open their eyes to other wonderful actors and shows out there.
What are your thoughts on the comedy portion? Are you happy with the nominees or was your favorite show or actor snubbed? Sound off below!!!